Textile Heritage Museum

Glencoe Mill Village was built in 1880 to house workers at the Glencoe Cotton Mill (also 1880).  The mill operated until 1954.  The company store remained open for a time, but slowly, the village was abandoned as people left to find employment and housing elsewhere, and it became a ghost town.  In 1997, Preservation North Carolina purchased the entire village, mill complex, and acreage.  They in turn sold houses and lots to people who wanted to restore the old mill houses for private residences.  Below are some of the homes before and after the restorations.
  Row of homes   Former Superintendent's house    
  The barbershop   Walking in the village   Two homes being restored    

Below are some views of the mill homes before restoration.


The Textile Heritage Museum, shown with vintage cars in front, is also in Glencoe Village.  The mill owner's house, an 1897 house which was restored from 1995 to 2002, is adjacent to the village. 

  Former mill owner's house      

Site Design � 5MinuteWebs.  Site Data � The Textile Heritage Museum, Burlington, NC.  Template Design Copyright © Suzanne Roman.
All Rights Reserved. Images on this website may not be put as part of ANY collection without prior written permission. Graphics by Art for the web